Why do some people get more things done than others?
Why do some people talk about doing things and then …end up not doing them?
Each of us is given the same number of hours every day, but some people make more things happen in the same time. Why is that?
Well, they have learnt an important, and yet mostly untaught, life skill. They have learnt how to go from “talk” to “action”. They have discovered the secret of “Doing”. And yet, becoming a Doer is simple enough. It is a habit that we can all acquire.
This post takes us through the simple steps that every person, every project, every business, will probably encounter on their way to making stuff happen successfully.
1. SET YOURSELF A GOAL you can’t score unless you have one
2. SET YOURSELF A DEADLINE don’t make it too easy, a crazy deadline can help
3. DEFINE SUCCESS AT THE START Money, happiness, saving the world…., that sort of thing
4. MAKE A PLAN TO MAKE IT HAPPEN Remember, most things fail, because they never….start
5. BUILD A TEAM TO HELP YOU No matter how brilliant you are, you can’t do it alone
6. GET THE TEAM TO SIGN UP, HEAD AND HEART Tell them the dream, play down the bit about all the hard work , late nights, e.c.
7. UNDERSTANT THERE WILL BE HURDLES, BARRIERS
8. ACCEPT THEM
9. BUT DEFEAT THEM
10. WORK EACH DAY TOWARDS THE GOAL obssesion
11. A LITTLE CAN DO A LOT especially if repeated, if repeated, if…
12. EACH DAY IMAGINE THE DREAM, AS IF YOU’VE ALREADY DONE IT It may sound weird, but it will help
13. UNDERSTANT THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR ENERGY
14. YOUR STUBBORNNESS
15. YOUR PERSISTENCE
16. EVEN SO HALF WAY THROUGH A PROJECT IS NORMALLY THE LOWEST POINT. YOUR ARE NEITHER AT THE START NOR AT THE END
17. ENERGY DIPS, MOTIVATION SLIPS
18. IT’S TIME TO REMIND YOURSELF WHY YOU STARTED ALL THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE …hello dream, you got a minute
19. IT’S TIME TO LOOK BACK AT HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME wow, no way!
20. AND IT’S TIME TO GIVE YOUR SELF SOME EXTRA MOTIVATION
21. SO, TELL THE WORLD WHAT YOU’RE DOING
22. TELL THE WORLD WYH YOU’RE DOING IT even if they don’t get it, tell them anyway
23. AND TELL THEM YOUR CRAZY DEADLINE Let them feel your urgency
24. YOU’VE PUT A LOT OF PRESSURE ON YOURSELF that’s not such a bad thing
25. IT WILL GIVE YOU ENERGY FOR THE FINAL PUSH
26. THEN ONE DAY, MANY, MANY MOONS AFTER STARTING, YOU FINALLY CROSS YOUR FINISHING LINE
27. YOU’VE IMPRESSED A LOT OF PEOPLE including that person called you
28. YOU’VE LEARNT HOW TO GO FROM HAVING AN IDEA TO MAKING IT HAPPEN
29. YOU ARE A DOER
From the book “The Path of a Doer”